Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Peru Here I Come

As I sit here entering this blog my husband is irritated that I'm not packing for my departure to Peru this evening. However, since I probably won't be updating till I get back I'm going to blog about why I'm so excited to be leaving on my trip and why I wouldn't let myself get to excited till yesterday.

It all started 2 weeks ago when I was sitting on the couch reading emails from my iphone when I noticed I felt really strange and then when I felt my chest I could tell my heart was really beating fast. I woke Brad up and placed his hand over my heart and he sat upright and said "You are going to the ER!". Now, I had no pain, no shortness of breath but I couldn't even count my heart rate because it was so fast. When I got to the hospital they pretty much checked my BP and heart rate and whisked me back, started IV, EKG, monitors, drew blood and had about 6 people were scurrying around my bed and the doctor said I was having Supra ventricular Tachycardia. They even had the defibrillator ready to use. The doctor placed a bag of ice on my face with no results so he began carotid massage ( MY HEART RATE WAS 194) with no results so he said to just bear down as if having a baby. Well... that did the trick and slowly my heart rate lowered to the 90's. After some observation they let me go home with instructions to see a cardiologist the next morning. I saw the cardiologist and he kept telling me what a high risk person I was and I could have heart block or kidney block or etc.... HE TERRIFIED ME!! He ordered labs, x-ray, echocardiogram and a Thallium Stress Test. I asked if these could all be done within 2 weeks because I had plans to leave for Peru.

Yesterday I had my last test and spoke with the doctor. He was much more pleasant this visit and he looked over my results and said, "Have a nice trip". AHHHHH what relief, nothing was abnormal and he decreased my medication and said everything checked out fine.

So you see, I couldn't get real excited about the trip till I had the final OK from the doctor because I sure didn't want to be in some foreign country with medical issues. Pray for me, pray for Jacob, we are going to have a BLAST!!! I leave today and return very late on July 3.

2 comments:

Kurt and Alisha said...

Have fun. We will miss you! Thank goodness for that thallium stress test. Radioactivity is great for airport security. LOL

Lynn said...

Glad you survived another health "drama". It seems you have lots of scares to make you realize how fortunate you are to be here and fulfill your life and others. Love you Kim.
Enjoy your trip,as I know you will. Hi to Jake also.

Lynn