Sunday, July 29, 2007

VACATION

Where do I start? I spent the last two weeks enjoying a road trip to see friends, family, dogs and the beautiful Northwest. I left early on Friday July, 13 with Mick and Gage in their crates and the car packed to its' max with clothing, dog equipment, food, water and anything else I could fit in. We arrived at Julie Clemen's house Saturday after about 15 hours of driving and had a great time getting reacquainted and seeing the Little Paws Kennel and all her Pomeranians. The cool, clean Northwest air was wonderful even though the people living there thought it was hot! The next day I traveled with Annette (Julie's cousin and also good friend) to a breeder's house where we picked out 4 Poms to add to Julie's breeding stock. The trip was filled with lively conversation as we munched on fresh picked marionberries and raspberries. On Wednesday, Annette and I loaded up her truck for the Brush Prarie Dog Show and as Julie waved good-bye to us I was excited at the prospect of handling a dog in the Pomeranian Specialty. Annette and I spent 4 days showing 5 different dogs and boy is that the way to get broken in!!! It was a rush to get dogs brushed and combed and ready to go out in the ring and then hurrying to the ring to show the dog. I showed Wendy, a black Pomeranian in the 6-9 month Puppy Bitches ring (she embarassed me by peeing in the middle of her walk for the judge) and then Saucie in Open Bitches Orange. Oh yeah, and the best thing of all is that Julie has given me Saucie so that I can show her in California!!! Saucie is Gage's littermate sister and is a beautiful, petite orange female who I am so honored to be entrusted with and excited to have such a beautiful, well-trained dog to learn how to handle in the show ring. We had a great week and were fairly successful although , of course, we would have loved to get Best In Show but for some of the puppies first time out and it being my first time out it was a fun but exhausting experience. My sister Julie came and spent 2 nights with us at the Portland Dog Show so she got to experience a little of "my new world" too.After leaving the Dog Show I headed up to Seattle and Lake Stevens to visit Julie and then down to Gig Harbor to visit my nephew Ross and his family at his beautiful home. The Pacific Northwest is sooooo...... BEAUTIFUL!! Yes, I love it and would move up there if there was a way. LOL!!

I spent the remainder of the week visiting with my friend Julie and learning all I could about Pomeranians and their health, grooming, funny antics and visiting Olympia. I helped mow lawns, exercise dogs, dry dogs and cuddle dogs. I stayed at Julie's parents house and what gracious hosts they were to this strange Californian that loves Pomeranians as much as their daughter!! I feel so blessed to have made such good friends in Julie and Annette (my husband calls them the "POM MAFIA") and I look forward to many more "Pom Adventures" and visits to Olympia, WA.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you and your accomplishments and they joy you share about your love of animals...that love has always been with you and now you are really able to express your passion with a zeal! Oh and I would be remis if I did not tell you that I love your writting style! Jealous that you visited the great Northwest! I love it up there too. However, once again, I will be Hawaii bound in a few days...suffer I must. hehe

Marti said...

I'm grateful for your blog. It fills me in on what you are doing. I am simply amazed at your enthusiasm and love of this fairly new hobby. It seems like such a good fit for you. You look wonderful and happy. God bless you Kim.